• Tearing Romaine and Iceberg lettuce
the day before you eat it quadruples its
• The healing properties of garlic can be
maximized by slicing, chopping, mashing,
or pressing it and then letting it rest for a
full 10 minutes before cooking.
• The yellowest corn in the store has 35
times more beta-carotene than white corn.
• Cooking potatoes and then chilling
them for about 24 hours before you
eat them (even if you reheat them)
turns a high-glycemic vegetable into a
low- or moderate-glycemic vegetable.
• Carrots are more nutritious cooked than
raw. When cooked whole, they have 25
percent more falcarinol, a cancer-fighting
compound, than carrots that have been
sectioned before cooking.
• Beet greens are more nutritious than the
• The smaller the tomato, the more nutrients
it contains. Deep red tomatoes have more
antioxidants than yellow, gold, or green
• Storing broccoli wrapped in a plastic bag
with tiny pin pricks in it will give you up to
125 percent more antioxidants than if you
had stored the broccoli loosely wrapped or
in a tightly sealed bag.
• Ounce per ounce, there is more fiber in
raspberries than bran cereals.
This information came from…
LITTLE, BROWN AND COMPANY
Hachette Book Group